Sunday 13 March 2016

The Lost villages of Derwent and Ashopton (Ladybower Dam)

I've decided to use Sunday to share the photos of general historical interest, and the first photo I have chosen is actually a set. One because I couldn't decide which to choose, but also because each one tells a story of it's own. I have actually taken most of these from a booklet Harry wrote called Lost Villages, about Derwent and Ashopton whose ruins now lie under the Ladybower Dam.



The first picture, I remember being a big print on my Great Aunty Jean's wall when I was growing up. I always found it fascinating and quite eerie as a child and the tales that came with it were quite frightening. The bodies that were buried there were exhumed and reburied in Bamford before the last service was taken in 1943.


Apparently they left the spire standing for a few years and every time the dam waters lowered the spire would poke out. I can't remember who told me, but the story goes, that the bell would still ring sometimes, reminding people of what lay beneath the murky water. I believe it had to be demolished in the end as it was deemed unsafe.


When you look at the beautiful buildings that had to be knocked down it is such a shame, thankfully the Pack Horse Bridge (originally built in 1672) was dismantled and rebuilt. At least we have the images to preserve these moments in time so they are not lost forever.


If you know anyone who lived in or visited The Derwent and Ashopton villages, please share, I would love to hear their stories. TIA




No comments:

Post a Comment